Saturday, February 24, 2007

iRant: Lost gets lost (and good riddance)

I've finally done it. After multiple seasons of increasing disappointment, culminating in the most recent episodes (which have been plain 'ol bad), Lost has been removed from the auto-recorded programs on my DVR. I've been talking about doing this for a while and if I didn't get to see the show in beautiful hi-def (and I have to admit it's still very nice to look at) then I would've done it long before now.

Lost is just a terrible, substanceless tease. Each week brings the promise of something new to be revealed, but there are no answers, only more (stupid, insipid) questions. Although the first season, and to some degree the second, were quite good as network television goes, the show how so "lost" its way that it's very hard to believe that there is any over-arching story going on here at all.

Let's face it - Lost was burdened by its concept from the beginning and should have ended after a couple of seasons (there's a reason why Robinson Crusoe was such a quick read). What's going on now is just a pathetically slow death kept on life-support entirely for business, as opposed to creative, purposes. Such is the way with television, but it's hard to believe how low Lost has sunk.

Look at a show like Heroes (which I really like) - it, too, unwinds a continuing stream of new questions with each episode. The difference is that it also answers some of these questions every episode. If the makers of Lost could muster up enough pride to understand that this endlessly wavering series is not going to make it past another season then they'd smarten up and start writing their way out of this tangled mess they've created. At least then, after a final season of explaining what's going on instead of just creating further shallow "mysteries" like some David Lynch series gone bad, viewers could look back and think that all in all it wasn't a total waste of time - good first season, decent second season, some floundering in the middle, but boy did they wrap it up tight! However, given the decision-making that has brought the show to its current sorry state (and the lack of much competition on Wednesday nights), I'm not too optimistic about a "creatively principled" ending anytime soon.
Submit to:    submit iRant: Lost gets lost (and good riddance) to digg.comDigg  |   book mark iRant: Lost gets lost (and good riddance) in del.icio.usDel.icio.us  |   submit iRant: Lost gets lost (and good riddance) to slashdot.comSlashdot

2/24/2007 10:04:00 a.m.  

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So tell me… a good friend of mine raved about the show (Lost) in season one and two so I have those two seasons. Is it worth watching for those and stopping there or should I just not bother getting into it?

And btw he's now on to Heroes too.

February 24, 2007 1:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this. I watched season 1 and loved it. About half way through season 2 and decided that life was too short to waste time watching any more as it was just more of the same.

I'm looking forward to 'Heroes' when it hits the UK (BBC) later in the year and I have hired 'Dead Like Me' as I liked the sound of it on a podcast review.

February 24, 2007 2:12 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

JOHN: I think season one is worth watching (and season two is OK) if you can just plow through it without commercials.

I've been watching a lot of "fan edits" nowadays, and I think, if they ever do wrap up any of the storylines on Lost, that there could be a really good shortened series in there.

So if you think you can stop after seeing the first season then give it a watch. If you're a sucker for completeness (like I usually am) then save yourself the disappointment. :-)

NATE: You're totally right - it becomes terribly retread as time goes on. Heroes is really good, so I think you'll be much happier with it.

Jeff

February 24, 2007 3:17 p.m.  
Blogger JoeM said...

Jeff, I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up on Lost. I won't try and stop you, because in the big scheme of things these are just TV shows. I don't know about you but I think I watch a little too much TV.

I guess you haven't heard that the producers of Lost have started talks with ABC to have a definite end date for the show. They claim they have an overall plan for the show, and the story they wanted to tell would last about 100 episodes. At this point they figure they are about half-way through the story, so they don't want to stretch out the story more just to continue the series.

As viewers it seems that the end may not be in sight, but I'll continue to watch the show and just enjoy the ride.

February 24, 2007 6:50 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Thanks for the link, Joe. That's very promising news, so let's hope they follow through with it.

I have to say that the producers have squandered my faith in them at this point, so I'll be waiting for the series to finish before I get back into watching at all.

PS: And, yeah, it's certainly easy to watch too much TV nowadays :-) .

Thanks for writing,

Jeff

February 25, 2007 12:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Dead like Me' was OK but after watching the pilot and the first episode I cancelled the rental of the remaining DVDs as it was not quite good enough to hold my interest.

I remember hearing that Lost was a five series story arc some time back and that may have had something to do with my apathy setting in half way through series two.

Now Firefly.... can watch that over and over...

February 26, 2007 3:49 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

I had trouble getting into Dead Like Me too, but it may be that I didn't give it enough time (some of those series take a little while to get into - I didn't like Carnivale right away but I loved it after a bit).

Jeff

February 26, 2007 4:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's something else you can do besides TV. I understand from your sister that you like The Family Guy, so I thought of you when I came across a Wikipedia site devoted entirely to The Family Guy. I didn't know if you knew about this yet or not but here's the link anyway:

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

March 05, 2007 3:08 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

I checked out that site when you first posted your comment - it's great! Thanks for the tip!

Jeff

March 28, 2007 10:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thx for the share

August 09, 2008 1:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home