Thursday, December 08, 2005

earCandy: Christmas Music Options

I love Christmas. My family has always made this a very special time of the year and I enjoy embracing the season wholeheartedly. However, even I get tired of a single Christmas CD played over and over, even if it is only for a few days a year :-) . Well it seems there are quite a few options for seasonal listening out there so I thought I'd point out a few of the ones on my list for everyone...
  • Ultra Lounge: Christmas Cocktails (Parts One and Two) puts a little swing (and a little mambo and a little bop) into some Christmas standards. From Dean Martin to Nat King Cole, Peggy Lee to Les Brown, these CDs are a great collection of holiday tunes perfect for your hipster Christmas party.

  • The original soundtrack to the television special A Charlie Brown Christmas has been a Christmas classic since its release in 1965. One of the most beloved Christmas specials ever carries with it a soundtrack that can't help but take you back to your first time watching Charlie Brown and the gang with their little tree, and the music by the Vince Guaraldi trio is like a trip down memory lane.

  • James Brown's Funky Christmas doesn't have any Christmas classics on it, but it is definitely Christmas-themed. Songs like "Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto" and "Soulful Christmas" will keep you hopping James Brown-style.

  • A Very Special Christmas is a great series of CDs with proceeds going to the Special Olympics. Popular music stars such as U2, Tracy Chapman, No Doubt, Bruce Springstien, and many more sing holiday classics in a variety of styles. Not only is the music wonderful for the season, but so is the sentiment.

There are so many Christmas albums out there that I can't really make an educated "Best of..." list, but if you'd like to leave me a comment with your favs then maybe we can help out some more folks when they're stuck for holiday-appropriate tunes ;-) .
Submit to:    submit earCandy: Christmas Music Options to digg.comDigg  |   book mark earCandy: Christmas Music Options in del.icio.usDel.icio.us  |   submit earCandy: Christmas Music Options to slashdot.comSlashdot

12/08/2005 10:03:00 p.m.  

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our family's not really big on Christmas but the one thing I love about this time of year is the music. In fact I find myself listening to Christmas music sometimes months before.

This year I've been listening to two CDs in particular, one is the new Diana Krall Christmas album called Christmas Songs. She's one of my favorite jazz artists and it was really cool to get a proper Christmas album from her.

The other one is Lee Ann Womack's The Season For Romance which is just a wonderfully jazzy and beautiful Christmas album.

Here's a few single songs I've got on my Christmas playlist:

- Chris Isaak: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Rachael Lampa: Ave Maria
- Shawn Colvin: Love Came Down At Christmas
- Marvin Gaye: I Want To Come Home For Christmas

... and some really cheesy stuff:

- Joe: This Christmas (R&B)
- R Kelly: World Christmas (R&B)
- Jars of Clay: Little Drummer Boy
- Gloria Estefan: Christmas Through Your Eyes
- Christina Aguilera's Christmas album, My Kind of Christmas (it might be ultra cheesy but the girl's got mad singing skills!)

December 09, 2005 5:42 a.m.  
Blogger M-Fax said...

I have had christmas cocktails for years, it is great! good pick

merry christmas to a fellow haligonian

December 12, 2005 4:07 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Quite a list, Elisa, thanks! I have some embarassing favourites too ;-) (and, yes, Christina Aguilera, despite whatever faults she may have, can certainly sing).

Glad you like the Cocktails, M-Fax, it was a happy discovery for me. Say hi if we cross paths in Hali!

December 15, 2005 1:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home