Thursday, October 13, 2005

inPrint: Wired (October 2005)

The OTHER magazine I subscribe to is Wired. I went years without reading Wired, but when I decided to get take another look earlier this year, I really liked what I saw. Wired is no longer a magazine for the ubergeek - it is an award winning, genre-crossing magazine that touches on technology, culture, sociology, business, medicine, politics, and much more. I even catch my wife reading articles (and she's not exactly a techie) :-) .

This month continues on the movie cover theme that seems to be running strong over the past few issues (I've seen George Lucas, Stephen Spielberg, and now Peter Jackson figuring prominently in the cover stories of several recent issues). So the big story for October is Peter Jackson's new King Kong movie (with the article title, "Return of the King", really appealing to my love of puns/double-entendres). But there's more than that: how robots can teach your kids, the evolution of bacteria, how to pimp your new Honda, tech trends from Tim O'Reilly, life of DVD pirate, and even a cool new (and more accurate) take on the periodic table of the elements.

Wired has evolved along with technology: from something that was of interest only to the pocket protector crowd to something that encompasses almost every aspect of modern day life. Get Wired - you won't regret it.
Submit to:    submit inPrint: Wired (October 2005) to digg.comDigg  |   book mark inPrint: Wired (October 2005) in del.icio.usDel.icio.us  |   submit inPrint: Wired (October 2005) to slashdot.comSlashdot

10/13/2005 07:31:00 p.m.  

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

BTW, anyone know how I can keep a longer list of entries in my sidebar?

I don't really like having only the archive each month. What about all those poor new folks that come here now and miss out on the wisdom we're all throwing around here? :-)

October 13, 2005 8:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been subscribed to the Wired News RSS feed for a few months and i totally agree with your comments above about the quality of the content. Is the print version totally different or does it just have more content? Sorry I can't help you with the sidebar problem.

October 13, 2005 11:06 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

I think there are some differences in what you see online but, given that I have a subscription to the printed copy, I have really gone to any great effort to find that out. Anyone know?

November 05, 2005 12:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion the cover of the November Wired seems to be making a reference to Amber. Her cameo in black on a pink background on her own desktop that we see all the time on "Call for Help" has a lot of similarities to the Wired cover, and with her new found TV star status and even sex symbol status among techies, its not hard to believe that they might have had her in mind.

November 23, 2005 8:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home