Sunday, November 06, 2005

iRant: Shower Power :-)

Sorry about the downtime for the past couple of days (though it's the first time I've missed more than one day since I started this, so hopefully you'll stay with me ;-) ) but I've been crazy busy and totally under the weather (not to mention I've lost my power and internet connections twice over this time). I'm fairly recovered now, but I think I'll just go with a short entry tonight which very likely demonstrates that my brain is clouded from medication and lack of sleep :-) .

I've talked about user interface design previously, and this relates to that in some strange way I guess, but one thing that drives me crazy is that, in almost every instance, soap holders in showers tend to slope the wrong way (i.e. down into the shower instead of to the wall) or not at all. I don't quite understand how someone, after all the years of showering we've collectively done as a civilization, hasn't just decided to build a soap holder with a heavy slant back toward the shower wall so that the soap can't slide out easily. If the problem is dealing with water collecting there (and this would seem to be a motivation as typically the slant into the shower is accompanied by a little drainage dip in the lip of the holder) then just drill a hole at the back to let the water drain out. Soap is slippery, especially when wet, and it's annoying to have to pick the soap up off the floor of the shower all the time (I wonder if they've solved this much more hazardous problem in prisons ;-) ). And another thing, a pox upon of those who leave the "shower lever" on the faucet pulled up so that when innocent people go to turn on the water next time, they are soaked with cold water from above unexpectedly! Again, I'm pretty sure there should be an easy way to have this just fall back into place when the water is turned off from the previous shower, but I don't profess to know a lot about plumbing :-) .

Finally, a closing "deep thought" about showers: you might not have ever thought about it but I believe that almost everyone (and I've verified this with many people) goes through their very own specific shower routine every time they have a shower. You may start with the shampoo and then wash your face then simultaneously rinse out the shampoo so that you can then apply conidtioner and let it sit while you wash the rest of your body, or you may do something completely different - the point is, you likely do the same order of things every time you shower. I've tried unsuccessfully to pin down when I got into my current (and longtime) shower routine, but I think those memories were purged to make room for some more useful information. In any case, something to think about the next time you hop in the tub :-) .

PS: I promise some more enlightening information with my full recovery tomorrow :-) .
Submit to:    submit iRant: Shower Power :-) to digg.comDigg  |   book mark iRant: Shower Power :-) in del.icio.usDel.icio.us  |   submit iRant: Shower Power :-) to slashdot.comSlashdot

11/06/2005 10:02:00 p.m.  

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Wow, I really wasn't sure if I'd get any response to this post or whether I was just crazy for thinking about things like this, so thanks for the comments Matt - good to know there are others out there thinking outside the box too! :-)

Be sure to post if you happen find any answers to these important questions of our time, BTW. :-)

November 07, 2005 10:17 p.m.  
Blogger Brian McKechnie said...

Jeff,

Here is one possible fix to the soap dish problem until they start making the slant the other way:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/bath/article/0,16417,194459-2,00.html

November 10, 2005 12:32 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Thanks, Brian - I didn't know you were so handy outside of your video editing suite ;-) .

November 14, 2005 11:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home