Thursday, September 29, 2005

inPrint: Macworld (Oct05) 5/5

I have categories to cover video/film and music, so I figure I owe it to that stalwart of old media, the printed word, to give it its own category. :-)

There are only two magazines that I subscribe to on an ongoing basis and one of them is Macworld (you'll just have to wait to find out what the other one is, but don't worry, it's PG-13 :-) ). Every month I read Macworld from cover to cover - even if the article doesn't interest me, there's something (maybe my deeply ingrained obsessive compulsiveness ;-) ) that makes me trudge through it. This month's Macworld, like most, is rife full of interesting stuff and here are some highlights...

Final Cut Studio review - the bulk of this month's reviews section focuses on the different elements of Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro 5, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro 4, Motion 2). Not only did this section make me want to go out and buy the whole Studio, it gave me a much better understanding of how the different elements of the Studio work together.

Tiger Secrets Declassified - while I'm sure I won't make use of all the "55 Hidden Features, Slick Tricks, and Smart Timesavers" (I think "Smart Timesavers" is a bit of a pun given their numerous references to Smart Folders, Groups, Mailboxes, etc.), I definitely found some of great use.
For one, I've really missed being able to highlight a group of files (say, for burning to a DVD) and hitting command-I (Get Info) to see their total combined size (this changed from Panther to Tiger). One solution in Tiger: drag those files into a Burn Folder (File->New Burn Folder - this does NOT move the files, it just creates aliases) and click on the burn button (before inserting your DVD-R/CD-R) - their combined size will be displayed.
There's also a lot of references in this article to using the Automator to do things such as combine PDFs - well worth a look!

Which Mac is Right for You - a buying guide to Macs. Although this is something that I don't really have the need for personally, it's a great resource for all those friends who have been asking you what type of Mac they should buy.

Whip Up a Widget - a how-to guide to building simple widgets. The example they use is a widget that counts down to an event in the future, but their explanation makes a great first step to learning how widgets work internally.

You can find much of the information from the magazine online at www.Macworld.com, so you don't even have to buy the magazine to check it out (although it's hard to beat such informative bite-sized reading for your bathroom library :-) ).

PS: Subscribing for a year's worth of issues costs less than several issues bought at the newstand, so don't be afraid to invest. ;-)
Submit to:    submit inPrint: Macworld (Oct05) 5/5 to digg.comDigg  |   book mark inPrint: Macworld (Oct05) 5/5 in del.icio.usDel.icio.us  |   submit inPrint: Macworld (Oct05) 5/5 to slashdot.comSlashdot

9/29/2005 03:29:00 p.m.  

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Hmm, as much as I like the hands-off approach to many things, I sort of look at the above type of post as spam (no offence, Adrian, if that's not how it was intended). It starts off with an advertisement (in my hated ALL CAPS), mentions the blog entry in a very generic way, and then closes with a product link. If I hadn't set up the automatic post blocking (or whatever Blogger calls it), I would think that post was computer generated (and, BTW, any previously deleted posts to date were actually auto-spam that I received before activiating this blocker).

What do others think about this? I really want to have as open a discussion as possible in this blog, barring foul language or obviously inappropriate/offensive remarks, but spam has become one of the great annoyances of our electronic age.

Let me know what your take is on this - I'm still new at blogging and so I'd appreciate the advice.

September 30, 2005 11:10 p.m.  
Blogger Bryan said...

Hi Jeff,

Comments like this are definitely spam. I get the exact same messages on my blog, and they arrive seconds after I post an entry. Very frustrating! I guess they have found some way to defeat Blogger's spam blockers.

Bryan

October 02, 2005 11:32 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the coolest of the 55 secrets revealed was the password tester in Keychain access that asseses how good your password is or even picks one for you. A feature I never knew existed.

Another good Mac Magazine read would be Mac Addict. It tends to be a bit more about being hip and cool and Mac, but they do have a lot of good info too.

October 09, 2005 8:24 a.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Well, obviously, I have decided to remove that spam comment - thanks for the confirmation Bryan!

Password test if for sure cool, John. Oh, and I've read Mac Addict in the past and liked it, but I find now that I have a subscription to Macword, there's a lot of repeat in content between the two each month (I used to alternate a bit, but I can't quite bring myself to pay twice for the some of the same info :-) ).

October 13, 2005 8:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home